A great new recipe that can do double duty with eggs for breakfast or with soup for dinner.
1 ½ cups (6 ¾ ounces) all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon dry yellow mustard
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted PastureLand Butter
¼ cup chopped fresh chives*
1 cup (4 ounces) PastureLand raw milk cheddar
1 large free-range egg
Scant ½ cup whole organic milk
1 tablespoon heavy Cedar Summit or other organic cream
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place flour, baking powder, dry mustard, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
2. Add butter and cut in using a pastry blender, or if your fingers are on the cold side, you can rub the butter in with your fingers until the mixture looks like pea size granules. Add cheese and chives tossing to mix.
3. Break egg into milk and beat with a fork to blend well. Pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir with the fork until a dough forms.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 8-12 times with floured hands. Cut the dough in half. Knead each half briefly into a disk and pat into a 6-inch circle. Cut each disk into 6 wedges.
5. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of each disk with the cream.
6. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until medium brown. Cool, loosely wrapped in a dish towel on a wire rack.
*Optional replace the chives with 2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme.